Friday, September 7, 2012

Levi Scott Sykes- (Part 2 )

* warning- you can't see anything embarrassing, but there are birth photos in this post.

I started pushing at three in the afternoon. Kevin was on one side of me and the nurse was on the other. After a few tries of regular pushing the nurse noticed his heart rate would drop a little every time I pushed, she decided to have me roll onto my left side and I began pushing like that. After a while of pushing that way the baby's heart rate dropped again, into the 60's (it was in the 140's). This time she walked into the bathroom and pulled the emergency cord.

Before I knew it I was surrounded by nurses. they had me turn and kneel on all fours with my head as low as I could get it. The doctor then rushed in and told me the because of baby's heart rate he was going to use a vacuum and try to get my baby out as fast as possible. At that point I said a little prayer and they turned me back over. The doctor said that if I couldn't get this baby out in two pushes they would rush me into get a c-section. He didn't want to do that, however, since the baby was down so far already. He also told me he may have to do an episiotomy to help it go faster. At that point I knew I just had to push, really push!

The doctor unwrapped the vacuum and I began pushing. Even with the epidural I could feel him being born. I was a very strange feling. The doctor had the vaccum on his head and was pulling and twisting. When I hear him say the head was out and he was working on pulling out his shoulder I felt a little bit of relief. If he was born now they would have a good chance of helping him if he needed it. When he finally was born is it bad to say I was a little scared to look. I just wanted him to be perfect and was afraid I'd done a bad job. When I finally got the courage to look down I was so relieved and overjoyed to see that he looked fine. He was breathing, crying, and squirming just like you'd expect. He was fine, his heart rate was good, and we were all ok!  

Levi was born 8 lbs 8.1 oz and 20.5" at 4:40 in the afternoon. At that point we still hadn't picked out his name. Kevin and I took advantage of a moment alone to discuss it. We both liked Levi, and we already knew his middle name would be Scott. So, it was settled! The question that everyone loved to ask finally had an answer.

Levi and I were in the hospital for two nights. I was ok to go home after the first one, but since Levi was born using a vacuum his risk of Jaundice was higher so they wanted to keep an eye on him. We finally got the go ahead to leave the hospital on Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately it was right at Kevin's time for class. Lucky for us my sister was visiting us at the hospital, so after Kevin left for class she helped me pack up my things, Kevin's things, and my new baby and drove us home. It was sad to come home without Kevin, but I was happy to finally be out of there and for the help that my sister, and eventually my Mom, came and gave me.

It was so sweet. My family had surprise presents waiting for us. My parents gave us a cute little feeding set for when he gets a little older. They gave Kevin his first "Dad" T-Shirt, and Kevin gave me a sweet little baby buggy charm for my prized charm bracelet. After we got home one of my friends from work, Carmen, was the first to come and visit us! Then, some more of our friends, Chase and Shannon came to visit, and brought us a delicious dinner!

Over two weeks have gone by since Levi's birth! He is the cutest little thing on the planet. He sleeps like a champ and is a varacious eater! Seriously, he'll eat for over an hour if I let him (which I do). At his one week appointment he was already 9 pounds and 21 inches. The doctor said he is a very healthy boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment