Thursday, November 11, 2010

Girl Crush

As defined by Urban Dictionary:

"feelings of admiration and adoration which a girl has for another girl, without wanting to shag said girl. a nonsexual attraction, usually based on veneration at some level."

So, just so we are clear, I don't want any awkward rumors getting started.

To be honest I actually have several girl crushes, from the Olsen twins, to Carrie Underwood, to Heidi Klum. But, for those who know me well you will not be surprised to hear my #1 girl crush is welsh songstress Charlotte Church.



Lately I’ve been getting “Who?” a lot. You may remember her from the 1990’s as the small Opera sensation with the “Voice of an Angel.”



It all started for me with a PBS special where I saw do a concert. I was probably around 12. I knew I liked her then, but in a fit of self denial bought her Christmas album first thinking “I can always use a Christmas album even if I hate it.” Well, not long after I owned 3 of her CDs.

This is where the internet is dangerous and can turn decent people into stalkers. Every week for a long time I would go on google, type “Charlotte Church” (which took me a long time to spell correctly) and read about her latest exploits. Drinking, smoking, partying. She was not really a great role model… but, I was more fascinated than admiring.

Her first 4 albums were categorized a classical. Then, out of nowhere, a pop album! This 5th album “Tissues and Issues” holds a very special place in my heart because it was not sold in the U.S. so I went all the way to London to buy it! Well, that’s not why I went, but it was a SUPER bonus.



My adoration and attention waned a little after that because she settled down, had two kids, and was not doing much. Then BAM! This year a new album!!! I went back into stalker mode in my anticipation. Again, the album “Back to Scratch” was only released in the U.K. so I had to order it on Amazon.co.uk and wait an eternity for it.



Unlike anything I’ve heard from her before, this new sound took me a while to warm up to. Now, I love it. It is a slower type of music than I usually go for, really vocally strong. At the risk of turning this into an ad, you should really check it out if you get a chance. And, it was just announced that she WILL be releasing this album in the U.S. early next year. So, we can all enjoy it together! I picked one of my favorite songs just to give you a taste of something I love so much-

1 comment:

  1. Heidi Klum is easily on my girl crush list. Rosario Dawson, Pink also. I agree with the meaning to girl crush from Urban Dictionary but I would love to hang with them. Go shopping, have dinner, share Starbuck's with them. But i wouldn't be offended if any of them came on to me. Nor would I shoo them away. As if!

    ReplyDelete